Thursday, July 21, 2005

I Think They Are Missing the Point

OK, horrible about what is going on in London. Commuting through Penn Station everyday and seeing hundreds of police officers and National Guardsmen carrying assault rifles out in the open is quite nerve-wracking.

There is a huge campaign being waged to keep people aware and, as NJ Transit puts it, vigilant. Be aware of your surroundings. Report any suspicious packages, and don't leave your baggage unattended. Unattended baggage. Well, folks, these are people that are strapping on backpacks full of explosives and blowing themselves up. Somehow I don't think being aware of unattended packages necesarily protects against their modus operandi. I think instead I'll keep myself aware of non-unattended backpacks strapped to gentlemen with unkempt beards, chanting to themselves, especially if I see any exposed wires. I don't think they necessarily grasp the concept of 'leave a bag unattended.'

No comments: